20 September 2020

Dr. Andrei Stavilă

Or, without diacritics, for internet search:
Dr. Andrei Stavila)

I hold a PhD degree in Political and Social Sciences (European University Institute, Florence, Italy). My thesis was entitled 'Citizens-minus and Citizens-Plus: A Normative Attempt to Defend Citizenship Acquisition as an Entitlement Based on Residence' (read the abstract here). I defended it on 10 December 2013. The Jury members were Rainer Bauböck (EUI, Supervisor), Anna Triandafyllidou (EUI), David Owen (University of Southampton), and Joseph Carens (University of Toronto). The whole thesis is available online on CADMUS - EUI Research Repository here.

I previously obtained an MRes degree in Political Sciences (European University Institute, Florence, Italy), an MPhil degree in Political Philosophy (Central European University, Budapest, Hungary), and an MA degree in Philosophy (“Al. I. Cuza” University, Iasi, Romania).

My main research interests include political theory and philosophy, immigration, citizenship, minority rights, liberalism, normative ethics and the connection between ethics and international relations theory.

In the spring semester (1 January - 30 April) 2014 I was a Guest Lecturer at the Department of Political Science (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences) of Maastricht University (Maastricht, The Netherlands), teaching two courses: 'International Relations: Contemporary Issues and Actors' and 'Fault lines. Contemporary debates on identity, culture and citizenship in Europe'.

My current research projects are mainly situated in the fields of political science, political theory and philosophy, and international relations – but they also have an interdisciplinary approach. The first research project situated in political philosophy tries to develop the normative contribution migration studies may have in resurrecting the consent theory of political obligation. A second research project in political theory is related to the way a residence-based theory of citizenship can answer the problems raised by other categories of migrants like refugees, seasonal workers and trafficked human beings. Finally, a third interdisciplinary research project focuses on migrant Romani people and tries to discern the political and social relevance of their artistic practices.

You can also find me here:
My profile on Google Scholar
My profile on Academia.edu
My profile on ResearchGate
My Google Site
My LinkedIn profile
My profile on EUDO-Citizenship
European University Institute - PhD Thesis defended in 2013; see also my PhD defense
My photo blog (English): Andrei Stavilă's Photography
My personal blog (Romanian/English): Interactions
My posts on immigration and citizenship issues (in English): The Wanderer
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
Flickr
Scribd